Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Awana


starting september 2008, Awana has been my life. 9 months of the year, my Quiz book has practically always been within reach. every tuesday and wednesday for 7-9 months was devoted to Awana.

my life kind of revolved around Awana.

Awana kept me going quite often.

I learned some of my best lessons from it, have some of my best memories from Awana.

and then there was Summit~~Awana nationals. best week of my year, no question about it. {okay, so Generations Joshua Student Action Teams are a close second. so is Values Voter Summit...}

Summit is awesome. you prepare for the better part of a year for it with your team. as a team, you go through moments of borderline hating each other.you go through insane stress an high tempers at times. you get to Summit and realize just how close of a team you are.

then you realize~~you aren't just a team. you're a family.

you win together. you lose together. you succeed together. you mess up together. you laugh so hard you can't breathe. you cry with disappointment. you pray together. everything you do, you remind each other that it's for God's glory. as medals are placed around your neck, you cry together again from stress, happiness, sheer exhaustion, joy, pride and thankfulness. you see each other at your absolute best moments. and you see each other at your absolute worst moments.

for some of us, the Grace Bible Church, Hollidaysburg PA Awana team is our only real family....






3rd place in the nation for AwanaGames


and then, you're told you can't go back. that you're done with the team. that your parents won't let you return.

"WHAT???"

immediately, a bunch of dreams go up in flames...
~getting your Citation at Summit
~getting to the Platinum round of Quiz
~getting 1st in Games
~another, final year with your family, the team

everything i practically own is somehow related to Awana... down to my shoes. medals are hanging by my bed. medals and trrophies and certificates in the schoolroom. medals, certificates, pictures, ribbons, everything is hanging in my area of the attic. even my bible sitting next to me was chosen specifically for Awana Bible Quiz....

i miss Awana. i feel so lost without it. it was what really helped me get to know God, to learn about him, and allowed me to be around other strong christians...

i've missed it so much over summer, but hey, it was ok 'cause i was going to go back in september.

but apparently God has other plans for this year. His ways are best.

but that doesn't meant that it doesn't hurt...i took down most of my Awana stuff today because seeing the stuff all over just hurt worse. i had to blink back tears while packing it up, but it's ok. it'll be ok.

i'll leave 12 or so medals up, in the attic and next to my bed. and a few pics. oh, and the 30 yds of Games tape that I was wrapped in...good memories.





someday, i'm going to unpack my Awana stuff and display it. but for now, it looks like it's time to just move on. when God moves us past something, it's for a good reason, and usually for something better...i can't imagine what. but i'll trust his plan.



{this song has been stuck in my head a lot. the Daniel Doss Band came to Summit my first year~~they hold a special place in my heart.}

1 comment:

  1. What?? That's so sad. =( I can't even imagine life without AWANA...any particular reason why you're not allowed to come back, or is that private?

    ReplyDelete